Oxford Capital Group, Chicago, announced the acquisition and planned full-scale interior renovation of the 453-key Westin Book Cadillac Detroit Hotel. Oxford and its partner Taconic Capital will work on a refresh of the guest rooms, public space, meeting rooms and ballrooms over the next 24 months. The hotel will remain operational and open throughout the renovation period. As part of their agreement with Marriott International, Oxford is making a significant investment into the newly-designed guest rooms and public spaces. The property will be reimagined by Oxford in collaboration with The Gettys group and Marriott.
The hotel originally opened in December 1924 and was named after its owners, the Book brothers, and the site which was originally home to the Cadillac Hotel. At its opening it was the world’s tallest hotel wit 31 floors and contained 1,136 rooms. In Neo-Renaissance style, among its notable features are the sculptures of famous figures from Detroit’s history—General Anthony Wayne, Antoine de La Mothe Cadillac, Chief Pontiac, and Robert Navarre and copper-covered roof elements.
The Book brothers lost control over the hotel in 1931 due to the Great Depression. Until 1951 when it was sold to Sheraton, the hotel was operated by hotel industry pioneer Ralph Hitz. The hotel closed in 1984, deemed outdated and with rooms too small and numerous to fill. In 2003 plans were announced to renovate the property and turn it into a mix-used complex. Finally, in 2008 it reopened as a Westin hotel with 455 rooms and 65 condominiums.